Welcome to Lesson 3: BREATHE
I was thinking of a clever way to start this lesson, when I realized nothing beats just coming out and saying it:
Breathing (yes, that thing you do thousands of times a day) can help you lose weight.
“Oh yeah?” you might now say. “If I do it thousands of times a day, why am I not already slim?”
The catch is that if you want to breathe to lose weight – and who doesn’t? – you must learn how to do it right.
Breathing is one of the most vital functions of the body, stimulating the activity of each and every cell and influencing the performance of the brain – and it’s responsible for the burning of oxygen and glucose, which in turn produces energy to power the muscles and glands.
Most of us, however, use only a small part of our lung capacity when breathing. We tend to shallow-breathe, and deprive our bodies of the oxygen it needs.
The result is a host of potential health problems, one of which is, you guessed it, excess weight.
Pranayama is a branch of yoga that trains you to consciously inhale and exhale. The word Pranayama is comprised of two roots: ‘prana’, which means vital energy, and ‘yama’, which means control. And so Pranayama directly translates to ‘Breath Control’.
The benefits of Pranayama can be divided into 5 categories:
- You’ll enjoy better digestion and detoxiﬁcation: special heating breathing techniques stimulate the metabolic rate and tone digestive organs. They produce the heat in the body and ﬂush out wastes and toxins, strengthening the immune system. The body becomes lean, strong and healthy, and all the unwanted fat is burned
- You’ll live longer: ancient Yogis noticed a long time ago that animals with a slow respiration, like elephants, pythons or tortoises live way longer than those with a fast breathing rate. They realized that reduced breathing rate makes your heart stronger and better nourished and contributes to a longer life. You can train yourself to breathe slower and reduce your breathing rate from a standard 15 breaths a minute to 5-6 breaths a minute. In result you’ll lower the blood pressure and relax.
- You’ll have better blood circulation: by breathing slowly and deeply your blood circulation improves and more oxygen can be pumped even with less number of breaths. The heart pumps the freshly oxygenated blood via arteries and blood vessels to every part of the body, where in turn it seeps into every tissue and cell.
- You’ll have a stronger heart: the heart beats 100,000 times a day. It is pumping blood day in and day out non-stop all your life. More oxygen in the blood means more oxygen to muscles of the heart, which basically translates into a longer life span.
- You’ll have a calmer mind: Pranayama prepares the mind for meditation and you’ll also experience the feeling of inner peace, relaxation and better sleep.
Now that you know why Pranayama is so important, why not give it a try?
Below is a video of a Pranayama technique known as ‘Alternate Nostrils Breathing’.
And yes, it will help you melt away fat just by breathing. I’m serious!
Practicing it is as easy as, well, breathing. Just watch the video and follow my lead:
To download this video to your computer, right click the link above and choose “Save Target As…” or “Save Link As…”
This breathing technique is one of the best and easy breathing exercises for complete puriﬁcation of body and mind. It’s restoring the natural balance in your breathing and cleansing and strengthening the lungs and entire respiratory system.
NOTE: Alternate Nostrils Breathing has a heating effect on your body helping you to burn the calories faster, but if overdone can cause dizziness. To avoid that, please start your practice with 10-15 repetitions and slowly increase it to 30-40 repetitions.
Remember, feel free to share the video with your friends!
That’s all for lesson 3. How are you doing so far? Noticed any changes yet? Would LOVE to hear from you, so drop me a line in the comments section below.
To A Slimmer, Healthier & Sexier You,
PS. Want to master the art of breathing to lose weight? The Slim4Life home training program contains 6 Pranayama breathing techniques (and a TON of other exercises and tools) for healthy and permanent weight loss. Click here to find out more.
Did you enjoy this article? Sign up for FREE email updates!